Memorial Day Weekend is upon us, and you know what that means – the unofficial start of Summer is here! It’s the time for grilling and eating meals outdoors, switching to iced coffee, and whipping neglected flowerbeds into shape; time for impromptu trips to the beach and watching fireflies at dusk from the comfort of a screened porch. Summer is all about those easy moments, when we can take a collective deep breath and release the stress of a long-endured Winter (say it with me now: ahhhhhhh). To make this Summer even more special, I’ll be kicking off the season with my 30th (!!!) birthday. There’s nothing quite like embarking on another decade to put time in perspective, and I’m determined this year to make the most out of the beautiful Summer sunshine while I have it. To help with that, I’ve put together a list of my go-to Summer essentials. These are the items – some fun (a cute monogram tote) and some absolute necessities (sunscreen!) – that I’ll be reaching for time and time again this Summer.
1. Sun Protection. Let’s start with the #1 item I literally cannot live without during the Summer – sunscreen! (Ok, so maybe I could literally live without this liquid SPF gold, but my burnt and miserable skin would never forgive me). For body coverage, I love Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Sunscreen Body Mist, SPF 70. I find spray sunscreens to be the easiest to apply, especially in hard-to-reach areas, and this one in particular provides very sheer, non-greasy, and reliable coverage. (Note: always apply spray sunscreens in well-ventilated areas to avoid accidental inhalation of chemicals and never spray directly onto the face; spray into your hands and apply). For the face, I prefer a lightweight, oil-free lotion such as Shiseido ‘Urban Environment’ Oil-Free UV Protector SPF 42 that has a matte finish suitable for wearing under makeup. (Kudos to those women who feel confident going sans makeup in the Summer, but alas, I am not one of them).
2. Swimsuit. Call me old fashioned, but I am loving the resurgence of modest, retro-inspired swimsuits. The trick to pulling off a one piece without looking like your mother (no offense to moms – I know some hot mamas!) is to find styles with youthful accents such as bright colors, playful patterns, or cheeky details. I love this Vintage Boyleg Swimsuit from Boden. Nautical navy and white stripes are Summer classics, and the polka dot detailing keeps it fresh and fun.
3. Cover-up. Warm weather calls for easy, laid-back style, and for me, nothing fits the bill quite like a breezy Summer dress that can double as a swim cover-up. This crochet-trimmed style from Zara is versatile enough to take you from the beach to a lunch date.
4. Shades. I wear prescription sunglasses, so as much as I’d love to don the cute, trendy, and inexpensive shades I see everywhere from Target to my local drugstore, I usually splurge on a quality pair that will carry me through several seasons. I gravitate toward classic styles such as these Tory Burch aviators or Ray Ban wayfarers.
5. Sun Hat. In the summer, I never leave the house without a hat in hand. Wide brimmed and fedora styles keep the sun out of my face and help keep my bangs and long hair in check on especially breezy days. I have a few go-with-everything hats in rotation, but this classic panama hat from J.Crew is one of my favorites. I usually have a difficult time finding hats for my (apparently giant!?) head, but luckily this one comes in S/M/L sizing, so I was able to get the proper fit.
6. Sandals. I know I’m in the minority on this one, but I have never been a huge fan of flip-flops. They certainly have their place at the beach or by the pool, but there are so many other fun, stylish, and equally easygoing alternatives I prefer for day-to-day wear. This embellished sandal from Target is chic, comfortable, and wallet friendly at around $22.
7. Easy Jewelry. When it’s hot and humid outside, the last thing I want to do is load up on tons of jewelry. Instead, I’d rather throw on a bold statement piece like these wood tassel bracelets from Gold & Gray. I love the pop of the bright tassels against the neutral beads – so fun!
8. Beach Towel. Yes, beach towels and blankets are made to get wet and sandy, but nothing says they can’t be stylish too! I love the texture and generous size of this Herringbone Striped Turkish Cotton Towel, and it can even double as a picnic blanket or a casual table topper.
9. Portable Charger. I carry this little pocket battery charger in my purse year round, but it especially comes in handy in the Summer months when so much time is spent outdoors (and away from an outlet)! I use it to charge my cell phone, e-reader, and other mobile devices when I’m on the go, and it does a surprisingly good job for such a little device. At less than $15, this one is a no-brainer.
10. E-Reader. One of the things I most look forward to during the Summer is sitting on the beach or out on the porch with a good book. I love the feel of a good old-fashioned paperback in my hands, but e-readers are just so darn convenient – especially when you are on vacation and want to bring several books with you but don’t want to weigh down your luggage. This Kindle Paperwhite is my go-to choice for digital reading and the closest thing I have found to reading actual paper. The screen performs beautifully in the sun with no glare, and at around $100, it’s not nearly as big of a commitment as it’s flashier tablet cousins.
11. Water Bottle. Confession: I am a coffee fiend, and I will never give up my oh-so-delicious habit. That being said, I do try to stay hydrated and drink as much water as I can throughout the day, especially in the unforgiving Summer heat. I LOVE the clean styling and simple silicone cap (do you also get annoyed by lids with moving parts, or is that just me???) of this eco-friendly glass water bottle. Now, the real trick is to force myself to drink at least one of these filled with water for every cup of coffee I have. #healthgoals
12. Roomy Tote. Finally, with all of the fun Summer activities on the horizon, I’ll need a big tote bag to carry all of my must-haves. I have been coveting this monogrammed St. Anne Tote from Barrington Gifts, and I love that you can personalize it with your choice of background fabric, stripe color, and monogram style. My choice is a straw background (i.e. will go with everything!) with a fun pop of navy and bright green, but there are so many combinations available; it’s hard to choose just one!
So, what’s on your Summer must-have list?
Wishing everyone a very fun-filled, sunny, and safe Memorial Day Weekend! XO Meg